Are you are new to guinea-keeping and aren't sure if you're ready for a long-term adoption commitment? Would like to adopt a piggie friend for your current guinea pig? Either way, foster-to-adopt is the way to go. It gives you a “trial run” with guidance from the group.
1. Fill out a foster-to-adopt application - you can download it and email or hand it in or bring to an adoption event, or fill it out online. If you need to borrow a cage and supplies for temporary housing, please let us know when you submit the application. There is a flat $50 deposit for any supplies borrowed and returned upon the return of supplies. We don't regularly bring cages & supplies to adoption days, but will if we are expecting your needs.
2. If you are looking to pair your guinea pig with one of our adoptables, we recommend doing some “speed dates.” Not only does meeting on a neutral ground give us an idea of how the bonding process may go, but if there is immediate fighting on neutral ground, adoption as a bonded mate is unlikely.
3. We will hold a check or cash for the amount of the adoption fee until we either hear from you that you would definitely like to adopt, or if the guinea pig is returned we will return your check or cash to you. If you borrowed a cage and supplies, they will need to be returned if you decide to adopt the guinea pig. If you would like to purchase the cage and supplies, let us know as some cages can be sold.
4. You MUST give us an update once a week to let us know how things are going and your intended plans. We encourage you to call, text or email us with questions at any time.
5. While there is no set time frame, we would appreciate having a yes or no answer within a month.
“Speed dates” are typically done in the guinea pig coordinator’s home since it is best for the guinea pigs to meet in calm environments. She will also travel to you if in the area. If you want to experience what it is like to care for guinea pigs, you are more than welcome to make an appointment to go to her house and help clean guinea pig cages as well as interact with the guinea pigs. If you are looking for a specific guinea pig, please make sure we know in advance, as our fosters are spread throughout the state.